Oklahoma Freemasons have been strong supporters of public education, starting with the first pioneers who moved into the Indian Territory in the late 1800s. Today, Oklahoma Masons recognize education by:
- Sponsoring a scholarship for the Oklahoma Teacher of the Year
- Providing a cash reward for Oklahoma Teacher of the Year runners-up
- Sponsoring Student of Today and Teacher of Today programs at schools throughout Oklahoma
- Sponsoring a State Essay contest each year for High School seniors
- Sponsoring educational programming on Oklahoma’s Public Television network, and
- Providing thousands of dollars in scholarships to Oklahoma youth
The Student of Today program recognizes the young men and women of each graduating class in elementary, middle, junior and senior high school grades for citizenship, patriotism, and scholastic excellence during their time at the school. Students are selected by teachers and administrators at each school and are presented a Certificate of Recognition during the school’s award ceremony.
The Student of Today program is administered by the Oklahoma Masonic Charity Foundation.