Oklahoma Freemasons have been strong supporters of public education, starting with the first pioneers who moved into the Indian Territory in the late 1800s. Today, Oklahoma Masons recognize education by:
- Sponsoring a scholarship for the Oklahoma Teacher of the Year
- Providing a cash award for Oklahoma Teacher of the Year runners-up
- Sponsoring Student of Today and Teacher of Today programs at schools throughout Oklahoma
- Sponsoring a State Essay contest each year for High School seniors
- Sponsoring educational programming on Oklahoma’s Public Television network, and
- Providing thousands of dollars in scholarships to Oklahoma youth
The Teacher of Today program is sponsored by Masonic lodges throughout the state of Oklahoma to recognize outstanding professional educators in the elementary, middle, junior and senior high school grades community. Each teacher is selected by the administration of their individual schools, then presented with a Certificate of Recognition during the school’s award ceremony.
The Teacher of Today program is administered by the Oklahoma Masonic Charity Foundation.